Monday, January 24, 2011

Tomato & Aamshotto Chutney



This is a very popular dish in Bengali households and recently I tried it for the first time in mine. I took the recipes from my mother and my sister-in-law and then combined them taking the best of each to get my own version of the recipe.

Ingredients:-
5-6 tomatoes chopped
1 tsp panch phoron
1/2 inch cube ginger finely chopped
1-2 green chillis slit
1 tsp black salt
1 tsp jeera seeds
1 whole dry red chilli
1/2 cup aamshotto diced to small pieces
1/4th cup cashew nuts
1 tsp chat masala
sugar to taste
salt to taste
tamarind paste/lemon juice
oil 1 and 1/2 tbsp

Process:-
Heat oil in a kadhai. When hot enough add the panch phoron seeds and let it splutter. Then add the ginger, when it is fried add the tomatoes. Stir for a while and then add the salt and sugar to taste. If you want to make it more sweet add more sugar. Cover and let it cook for a while. Once the tomatoes have cooked add the aamshotto and cashew nuts. At this point I also add the green chillis as it gives a tangy taste to the chutney. Next add the tamarind paste and since I did not have this ingredient I added lemon juice right at the end once I had switched off the heat. Again the quantity of tamarind would be as per your taste. Heat a separate pan and saute the jeera seeds and red chilli without any oil. Once they have browned, grind them in a mortar and pestle and add 1 tsp of it to the chutney. Add some black salt and some chat masala. Switch off the heat and serve. It tastes great when chilled. Enjoy the chatpata chutney!

No comments:

Post a Comment